Sunday, February 21, 2010

Third Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

Miles to go by Miley Cyrus with Hilary Liftin. Disney Hyperion Books, 2009. Genre: Autobiographical Novel

Miles to go
is an autobiography of Miley Cyrus' life, so far. Cyrus was a normal girl until she auditioned for "Hannah Montana", and starred in the television show. Now everybody knows who she is. As a whole, this book doesn't have one main conflict; it's just about the ups and downs of her life. Some of the problems she encounters are: being bullied in sixth grade, her Pappy dying, and the break-up of her and Prince Charming. The setting also varies in this book, but she grew up in Tennessee, and that will always be the place she calls home.

"Fans will find this an effortless and entertaining read."
- Publishers Weekly

Each chapter in the book is basically a little piece of her life. However, it doesn't necessarily go in chronological order, and she doesn't tell us every single. She only tells us what she thinks is important for us to know. The writing style is exactly what you would expect from a teenage girl. It's not a hard book to read, and it doesn't use great vocabulary, it's just regular writing. There's a lot of sarcasm, which gives you a sense of her personality, and the comments in the margin make it seem even more personal. This is the only book Cyrus has written, and it's a hard book for me to compare. Most of the books I read are fiction, and I don't think you can compare an autobiography to a work of fiction. The fiction books I read are almost unreal because they usually have a problem that is resolved with a happy, fairytale-like ending, and this book does not really remind me of that.

"I spent what felt like an hour in there, waiting for someone to rescue me, wondering how my life had gotten so messed up" (31).

I'm not a huge fan of Miley Cyrus in general, but I wanted to read this book to learn about her life, and what it's like. I think many celebrities are misunderstood, and this book was a chance for her to let her fans, or anyone, get to know the real her. Overall, I thought it was a good book, and you learn things about her that you didn't know before. To me, it just goes to show you that you can't judge someone just on what you see or know because there's always more to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment